Pages

Friday, August 22, 2014

My Two Favorite Things

A long time ago I started watching BBC Robin Hood. Needless to say my family wasn't thrilled, and now the only people who like watching it are myself and my mother. We unintentionally stopped watching, until the other night when we actual found the time to watch the next episode. Seeing as I hadn't watching it at all this year I read the descriptions of the episodes I had watched so long ago; it was while doing so that I noticed the term "Saracen." I am also reading a book in the Youngest Templar Trilogy, during the Crusade to the Hold Land. It was then that I made the connection. The King Richard in the Robin Hood tales was King Richard the Lionheart. How could I have missed that before? It was so obvious! So I have a completely new perspective of this show, and really, really want to watch it more.

I actually don't know very much about King Richard, or about the crusades. But I do know a little bit about King Richard's mother, Eleanor of Aquitaine. Through out history women do not often break the mold of what was "normal." That's what usually bugs me about most historical fiction, but I don't want to rant about that now. Eleanor is actually one of the few exceptions, she was quite unusual for a woman in the 1100's. First off, when her father died she became Duchess of Aquitaine around age twelve to fifteen. No one seems to know for sure. From what I've read she was actually able to read and write. At that time it was a extremely rare for women to know such things, even noble women or royalty!

That's actually about as much as I know. But Robin Hood has given me an entirely new resolve to find more about Eleanor, her sons Richard and John, and about the crusades and the Templars. Such as this, I only just learned last night that the word Muslim was hardly ever used until around the sixteenth century (I think). Before then Muslims were called Saracens. So now that gives me a new perspective of the Saracens in Keeper of the Grail, the book I was talking about earlier.

Back on the topic of BBC Robin Hood. I now understand what Robin mean in the first episode when he had returned from the crusade. But does that mean this is set after the crusade to the Holy Land, or did he just sorta leave the fight? And, if he was in the battle, and his is indeed a christian as I currently think he is, then wouldn't that make him a Templar Knight? Wouldn't more await him than a bandits life? Can you just quite being a Templar Knight? I mean sure, it's just a show, no way it's gonna be historically accurate (as pointed out by their clothes :P) but it raises question to research! Ahhh... I love history. :)

So now that I have all this to research maybe I'll actually post on MAE History. I haven't posted in forever. I mean, right now I've only got one post. It's pretty pathetic. So I'm thinking I'll try and write a post, but maybe be less formal. Whenever I start a blog I always get help back by trying to make each post very professional, which results in one to zero posts. Yeah... so I've decided to be a bit less formal, but I still want it to be informative. It's supposed to be a blog to record what I learn about my favorite periods in history. So I'm gonna try a new approach. :)

So I found this channel of YouTube. Oh my gosh. Love the music they post! It's a channel to help musicians be discovered, so they've go multiple people's music. Thus far I've only listened to part of an hour long video with the best of Jo Blankenburg. I hope I'll be able to find more of his music, it's so amazing! It's so quarantined too! Like, I love Adrian, Brunuh, Derek, and Antti's music (among others) but Jo's music is extremely well coordinated. It's so hard to explain, but Jo's music sound even more professional. It's amazing! I love it!

Ahh, music and history. Two of my most favorite things! Speaking of music, I really haven't been able to use Magix at all because of my darn computer. :( Bummer. Hopefully I'll get a new one soon... pffft, yeah right. That's not happening any time soon. But that's perfectly okay. :) I could use a little lesson in patience. That is something I don't have very much of.

That's it. I need to either work on history, though I'm getting a bigger urge to work on stories. Plotting them out, or actually writing, or coming up with idea, or planning character. It's hitting me big, this music does something to me. It makes me watch to write. So many things come up in my head when I listen to it. That's it, I'm outta here. Beannachd leibh! (That is one of two ways to say goodbye is Gaelic. I'm pretty stoked that I remembered how to spell it).

No comments:

Post a Comment